Monday, May 23, 2011

The Note that Touched My Heart

As each route has passed by and days turned into six weeks, my anger has turned into happiness and my relationships with the kids have gone from broken to mended. Last week was the best week of Bible on the Bus so far for me. I had a great week and enjoyed each and every route. I enjoyed talking to the kids and laughing with them. I no longer see the route as something I am obligated to do but rather a privilege to serve God. I am no longer ashamed to tell people that I drive a bus. I know that God has me there for a reason and I am just happy that I have been given the chance to serve Him and that He finally opened my eyes to the bigger picture. This is my mission field that I have been assigned to for now and am so glad that God is using me for His glory. I get on the bus with a new attitude and in response to that, the kids have a new attitude.

In a previous post, I told you about a child that yelled out some horrible words on the bus. He got written up twice that week and I had to be very stern with him. I thought he would never talk to me again. However, last Wednesday on his way off the bus he handed me this handwritten note. I was shocked! I had been saying, "Hi" to each student as they got on the bus, talked with them while we were driving home and then said, "Bye" as they got off. I knew that they were responding well to it but this really touched my heart when he gave me the note. He has not been in trouble since I started talking to them either. A little attention goes a long way, especially with kids that don't get any when they get home. Just saying, "Hi", to this child and asking him about his day has made a major impact on him. So much that he took time out of his day, thought about me, wrote me a note and changed his actions on the bus.

I will be keeping this note as a reminder of how I should treat others, not only on my bus route, but at home and everywhere I go. Instead of working on something at home while my kids are trying to talk to me, I am going to stop what I am doing. I am going to look at them and LISTEN to what they have to say. That is all they want, our undivided attention. I have learned a valuable lesson this past week and I hope that I never forget it. I encourage you to stop all the hustle and bustle around you and listen to your children. Sit down and just listen. They need it and so do we. It is making a major impact on them, whether they write you a note or not. They are feeling your love and will love you for it.

I give you a new command: Love each other. You must love each other as I have loved you. All people will know that you are my followers if you love each other. John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment